[EM] Direct Democratic Defeat Elimination

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 22:01:26 PST 2023

Different implementations of the same election method (as an input/output
system) may appeal to different people.

If only people  could understand that they truly  were the same method
(given that proveably they have the same output for the same input), they
might worry less about the exact implementation before agreeing on the
actual voting method.

You might assume (as I once did) that the greater the variety of simple
equivalent explanations of a method, the more support it would attract.

But you would be wrong ... because people percieve different explanatiins
of the same identical method as being competing incompatible voting methods.

Having more ways to describe and explain a method ... instead of clearing
up confusion ... is seen as the very source of confusion ... the old story
of the blind men and the elephant.

Paradoxically some of the same people assume that all methods based on RCV
ballots must agree on who wins ... and that the only difference between
such methods is the procedure for counting the ballots to find that winner
... more a matter of taste than anything else ... kind of the same way
different Eastern religions look at different Western religions and
vice-versa.

People want one canonical voting procedure .... so that anything else is
anathema!

And too many people have already made up their minds that IRV is it.

Heaven help us!