[EM] Trying to get at the Condorcification proof

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 16:33:15 PDT 2023

I think you are on to something with your DSV remarks.

You can do DSV where the voters' input is anything from their Von
Morgenstern- Neumann utilities to their ranked preference ballots.

The DSV is supposed to relieve the strategic burden from the voters because
of their lack of .... what?

Lack of information?

Lack of sophistication?

Not really ... when evaluating the theoretical effectiveness of a DSV
method, don't you assume worst case cleverness of potential rational voters
with complete information?

The voters are the potential manipulators ... theoritically (if not
practically) with just as much information about the other voters'
utilities or preferences as the DSV input provides.

Any theorem about the limitations or advantages of a DSV method, would have
to make some assumptions distinguishing unsophisticated voters from
sophisticated voters ... which really must include all voters ... at least
in the worst case scenarion.

I think the analysis is based on all rational voters with complete
information, but the reality in public elections is near complete
disinformation ... along with high levels of irrationality.

Which makes DSV design more of an art than a science.

We're talking of DSV in a general sense that is broad enough to treat
Instant Runoff as a DSV method for transferring votes in a  runoff, which
is already a DSV system for deciding where their one and only Plurality
vote will go, for example.

One takeaway for me is that Condorcet, M is a mild constraint on method M
manipulators, because under complete information, they supposedly already
know all of the sincere preferences including who the sincere CW is if
there is one. The constrained system pins them down to some deterministic
CW that (under game theoretic omniscience) is known to all of the
sophisticated players ... taking away from the advantage of stochastic
strategies with  less constrained entropy ... strategies that would
otherwise be open to them to get a little more advantage over their
unsophisticated compatriots.

Thanks for your thought provoking insights!

fws