[EM] Trying to get at the Condorcification proof

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Jun 24 12:07:24 PDT 2023

James Green-Armytage (and independently Durand) showed that if M is a
method that has a property that a coordinated majority can always force
an outcome (the InfMC property), and neither equal-rank nor truncation
is allowed, then there's no election E where the outcome can be
strategically altered in Condorcet//M but not in M.

Furthermore, Durand stated that the same result holds with equal rank
and/or truncation as long as "Condorcet" is replaced with "AbsCondorcet"
- absolute Condorcet, where the absolute Condorcet winner is a candidate
who some absolute majority (50% + 1 or more) of the voters strictly
prefer to any other candidate.

I've tried to understand the proof myself as JGA and Durand's notes are
kind of terse. Here's my attempt:

I'll say "Election E is manipulable under M" if, when the winner of E
according to M is W, then there exists some group who all prefer some
other candidate X to W, and this group can alter their ballots so that X
wins instead of W.

1. Consider an initial honest election E. We want to show that if E is
manipulable under AbsCondorcet//M, then it's also manipulable under M.

2. If E has an absolute Condorcet winner C and M doesn't elect him, then
by definition, a majority prefers C to M. Due to InfMC, this majority
can force C to win. So E is manipulable under M; even if E is
manipulable under AbsCondorcet//M, the latter is no worse than M.

3. Now suppose that M is the winner of election E according to M, and an
absolute majority prefers some other candidate Y to X. Then E is
manipulable under M. By the same reasoning, AbsCondorcet//M can do no
worse than M.

4. Thus, if E is unmanipulable under M, there can be no majority
pairwise preference X>W where W is the winner according to M. So M and
AbsCondorcet//M agree that W is the winner (no matter if W is an
absolute Condorcet winner or not). So the only way to make E manipulable
under AbsCondorcet//M but not under M is to somehow make manipulators
create an absolute CW, so that the post-manipulation election for
AbsCondorcet//M changes but the election for M doesn't.

5. But that's impossible. Suppose we want candidate X to become the new
absolute CW. To do so, a majority must prefer X to W. But by point 3, no
such majority exists. The manipulators can't change this fact because E
was initially honest, so they already maximally expressed their
preference for X over W.

6. Thus the only way for an election to be manipulable under
AbsCondorcet//M but not under M is impossible, which was what was wanted.

Does that seem right?

Essentially, the trick seems to be that absolute Condorcet is a sort of
DSV for compromising within the constraints of InfMC. An absolute
Condorcet winner C is someone who, if the winner was someone else, InfMC
enablest a group of people who all prefer C to the current winner, to
force the election of C by compromising for C. By electing C outright,
the method removes the need to compromise for C in such a case.

"If a majority prefers A to B, then B is not elected", as Robert would
say.  ... in this case because otherwise, that majority could force the
election of A by strategizing!

Some more thoughts:

I *think* the proof works for "Absolute Smith" too as long as we use
ASmith,M (not //): if M elects someone not in the Absolute Smith set,
then strategists can make any candidate in that set win (not the same
group for each, of course).
Manipulators trying to change the winner according to ASmith,M have two
case, any strategy they use will also work on M since ASmith,M uses M's
order to break the ASmith tie. In the latter case, no absolute majority
prefers some X outside the set to any inside (same reasoning as for
Condorcet). But to get X inside the ASmith set, we must make an absolute
majority prefer X to someone in it, which is impossible (again, same
reasoning).

But it doesn't really help, because ASmith,M is manipulable whenever the
absolute Smith set has more than one candidate in it, because if the
majority preferring A to B (in an A>B>C.. cycle) unite, then they can
force the election of A using InfMC. Still, at least we don't *lose*
anything.

Making a similar proof for relative majorities would require some
"natural" property similar to InfMC but relating to relative majorities
(e.g. something like "if everybody else is indifferent between A and B,
then a majority of the remaining voters can force whether A or B wins").

There may be clever things one can do with the DSV idea, e.g. consider
something like: Let A ~> B in election E if either A has a higher Borda
score than B, or people who prefer A to B can bury B to make A's Borda
score higher than B's. Then let the Bury Top set be the maximal elements
set of this ~> relation. Is "Bury Top,Borda" less susceptible to Burial
than Borda? Maybe?

Or how about: Let a candidate X be "tenable" in election E if it's
possible to lower X in E to make X be eliminated no earlier under IRV;
let a candidate Y be "untenable" if it's possible to raise Y in E to
make Y be eliminated earlier under IRV. Let the net tenable set be every
candidate in the tenable set but not in the untenable set, or all
candidates if no such candidate exists. Elect the net tenable set
candidate ranking highest in IRV's social ordering (i.e. eliminated
last). Is this method monotone? Does it retain IRV's burial resistance?

-km