[EM] Monotonic Burial Resistant Method

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Thu Jul 6 01:43:16 PDT 2023

On 7/6/23 03:35, Forest Simmons wrote:
> For each candidate Y, let RBAFP(Y) be Y's  Random Ballot Anti-Favorite
> Probability ... the probability that on a randomly drawn ballot,
> candidate Y would be the candidate designated as "anti-favorite" (worst
> position) on the ballot.
>
> For each candidate X, let S(X) be the sum over all Y that defeat X, of
> RBAFP(Y).
>
> Elect argmin(S(X))

Let's consider the three-candidate ABCA cycle case.

If I'm not mistaken, at least when all ballots are fully specified,
RBAFP(Y) is linearly related to just Y's Antiplurality score, because
the probability is Y's antiplurality count or score, divided by the
number of voters.

So in this simple cycle, we associate with A the strength of the number
of last preference votes for the candidate who beats A pairwise. So in
my terminology: lpC. Since minimum wins, and my "linear" methods elect
the candidate with a *maximum*, A's score is thus -lpC.

I just created a burial example finder that uses linear programming; I
was going to write a post about using a sort of alternating method
(first find DMTCBR burial example, then find method that doesn't fail
it, then find a burial example that *it* fails, etc) as a poor man's
quantifier elimination, but I haven't got around to do it. Still, it's
useful for finding a particular example.

What we want is:
	- A has >1/3 first preferences and is the honest Condorcet winner,
hence the dominant mutual third candidate.
	- Then some BAC voters change their vote into BCA
	- As a result there's an ABCA cycle and B wins, i.e.
		- lpA is less than lpC (B has a better score than A),
and		- lpB is less than lpC (B has a better score than C).

This produces the following example:
	2: A>B>C
	1: B>C>A (honest is B>A>C)
	2: C>A>B

It's an A>B>C>A cycle: A has 2 first preferences out of 5, hence >1/3
first preferences. The probabilities of a ballot having a last
preference for
	A is 1/5
	B is 2/5
	C is 3/5
A's penalty (to be minimized) is C's probability, i.e. 3/5. B's penalty
is A's last place probability, i.e. 1/5; and C's penalty is B's: 2/5.

So the social ordering is B>C>A. Hence the burial paid off. It pushed A
from first to last place.

However, the example election has an unusual configuration: the burial
fails for every method implemented by LeGrand's rbvote (my mirror is at
https://munsterhjelm.no/km/rbvote/calc.html). Thus it might well have
been hard to spot the flaw.

In case it might be of interest, I've added the AMPL/GMPL linear program
below :-) I've added integer constraints so that the ballot weights are
all integer, which strictly speaking makes this an integer program, but
it would work even without those constraints.

var ABC >= 0 integer;
var ACB >= 0 integer;
var BAC >= 0 integer;
var BCA >= 0 integer;
var CAB >= 0 integer;
var CBA >= 0 integer;
var V >= 0 integer;
var lpA >= 0 integer;
var lpB >= 0 integer;
var lpC >= 0 integer;

minimize voters: V;

s.t. def_V: V = ABC + ACB + BAC + BCA + CAB + CBA;
s.t. fpA_exceeds_third: 3 * (ABC + ACB) >= 1 + ABC + ACB + BAC + BCA +
CAB + CBA;
s.t. AbeatsB: ABC + ACB + CAB >= BAC + BCA + CBA + 1;
s.t. BbeatsC: BAC + BCA + ABC >= CAB + CBA + ACB + 1;
s.t. CbeatsAafter: CAB + CBA + BCA >= ABC + ACB + BAC + 1;
s.t. AbeatsCbefore: ABC + ACB + BAC + 1 >= BCA + CAB + CBA;

s.t. def_lpA: lpA = BCA + CBA;
s.t. def_lpB: lpB = ACB + CAB;
s.t. def_lpC: lpC = BAC + ABC;

s.t. lpA_less_than_lpC: lpC >= lpA + 1;
s.t. lpB_less_than_lpC: lpB >= lpA + 1;

solve;

It can easily be adapted to find burial examples for other methods. For
instance, here are constraints for Smith,Antiplurality and Smith,Bucklin:

s.t. lpB_less_than_lpC: lpC >= lpB + 1;
s.t. lpB_less_than_lpA: lpA >= lpB + 1;

which gives
	2: A>B>C
	1: B>C>A
	1: C>A>B
	1: C>B>A

(Funnily, with three candidates and complete ballots, Bucklin seems to
be just Majority,Antiplurality: either someone has a majority, or the
candidate with the greatest first pref + second pref count wins; but
first + second + last prefs = number of voters, so that's the same as
the candidate with the fewest last place votes winning!)

-km