[EM] Simple Acceptable Ranked Choice Voting

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 09:59:34 PST 2023

Thanks for clarifying some important points.

In the tournament context the covering finish order enhancement should work
for MMPS like it does for Approval because in that context (unlike in the
ballot based context) raising just one candidate (winner or not) moves it
up the finish order without disturbing the relative order of the other
candidates.

What I call tournament monotonicity is preserving the winner when any or
all entries in the winner's row of the pairwise matrix are increased while
keeping all of the other rows constant.

We could make use of that version of monotonicity in pairwise election
methods if voters had more control over the process of converting their
ballots to the precinct summable pairwise matrices. Maybe too complicated
for the ordinary voter, but could be used in conjunction with Eppley's VPR
idea.

If you knew that raising X from X<Y to X=Y would by default zero out m(Y,X)
... and would rather have both it and m(X,Y) equal to one, there should be
a way of accomplishing that. Then tournament monotonicity could have some
benefit in the pairwise election method context.