[EM] Simple Acceptable Ranked Choice Voting

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 13:54:43 PST 2023

Perhaps we need to use the entire finish order of the seed method to get an
appropriate uncovered winner:

Unc(Finish Order)

Initialize the variable X as the candidate highest in Finish Order.

Then ...

While X is covered, replace it with the highest Finish Order candidate that
covers it. EndWhile.

Elect the updated X.

I would like to suggest as the seed method the following version of
MaxMinPairwise Support:

Let M be the matrix whose entry in column k of row j is the number of
ballots on which candidate j is ranked ahead of or equal to candidate k
(but not truncated).

In particular, the i_th diagonal entry M(i,i) is the number of ballots on
which candidate i is ranked.

Sort the entries in each row in non-decreasing order from left to right.
Note that this sort moves the diagonal entries of M  to the extreme right
of each row.

While keeping track of the correspondence between rows and candidates, sort
the rows lexicographically so that row R is above row R' iff R(i)>R'(i),
where i is the first place where the two rows disagree.

The order of the rows induces the modified finish order of the respective
candidates.

If I'm not mistaken, the following variant of the FBC is satisfied by this
version of MaxMinPairwise Support (before the uncovering modification):

If the winner W of this method is ranked top on ballot B, and the winner
changes when F is moved to equal top with W on ballot B, then the new
winner must be F.

Example:

48 C
28 A>B
24 B

The MaxMinPS finish order is C>A>B, and C is already uncovered.

Comments?

-Forest