[EM] Why All the Fuss?

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 10:58:51 PST 2023

In the context of elimination methods (like IRV, Coombs, Baldwin, rtc, as
well as all of our "worst-elimination" methods) the temptation for a
faction to bury (insincerely lower on their ballots relative to one or more
other candidates) a candidate C in order to help some candidate A win
instead of C ... this temptation arises when C defeats A pairwise, but the
A supporters, by lowering C, get C eliminated at some earlier elimination
step so A and C are not competing head to head.

Note that this burial ploy will not work  wih IRV elimination, because
lowering C on a ballot where A is already preferred over C will not
decrease C's first place support ... so it cannot get C eliminated earlier
... since IRV elimination prioritizes low first place support.

Coombs elimination, on the other hand prioritizes high last place counts
for early elimination, so the burial ploy has a good chance of succeeding
under Coombs.

Note that the feature that gives IRV immunity to burial is the same feature
that makes it vulnerable to the Squeeze Effect.

So is it possible to have immunity to burial and squeeze in the same method?

Yes, our "worst-elimination" methods have immunity to both... immunity to
squeeze because of Condorcet efficiency and immunity to burial because in
the above ploy, to eliminate C earlier (whether by burial or some other
means) must backfire as long as the ballot change preserves C's pairwise
win over A.

It does preserve C's pairwise win over A in the case of burial ... because
A was already ranked ahead of C by the buriers before the burial.

So how does this fact make C's elimination before A backfire?

Because according to our method...when C reaches "worst" status .... it is
eliminated only "after any and every candidate defeated by it [including
A]  is eliminated"

In other words, if and when C reaches "worst" status (with or without the
push downward from A supporters), it takes down A with it. So it doesn't
matter if our nominal standard of worst is "fewest first" or "most last" or
anything else ...  if it speeds up C's demise, it also speeds up the demise
of any candidate that C defeats pairwise.

In the three candidate case ... C is the sincere CW, and wins if C is
eliminated, sothe other candidate B is the sincere Condorcet Loser.

The A faction buries C under B, which creates a beat cycle ABCA.

A thinks this cycle gives it a chance at winning ... which it would under
most elimination methods.

But not under ours, because, on the one hand A cannot win unless B or C is
"worst" ... and ...

If B is worst it takes A down with it because B defeats A in the cycle ...
then B defeats C.

On the other hand, if C is worst, it takes A down with it, leaving B as
winner.

So burial of the A faction's second choice results in the election of their
anti-favorite B ... a complete backfire of the burial gambit!

I hope that.explanation clarifies the main reason for the clearing out of
the candidates defeated by the pivot candidate, i.e. the nominally "worst"
candidate, at each elimination stage ... see there really is a "method to
our madness".

You may remember I once proposed a Quick & Dirty method that simply said
elect the "best" candidate that pairwise defeats the "worst" Smith
candidate.

That's a shortcut rule of thumb that will elect the same candidate as our
"worst-elimination" methods do whenever there are no more than three Smith
members ... but the short cut is not Landau efficient ... so I don't
recommend it.

The main defect of the shortcut is that it requires some knowledge of Smith
... which our "worst-elimination" methods do not require.

So even though Q&D is shorter ... it is neither quite as good nor quite as
simple.

If you have any question about any other method that you would like to
compare with its nearest "worst-elimination" method ... it could interest
other readers of the EM list, too.

Remember "worst" is a nominal, tentative judgment that can hardly go wrong
... since the direct pairwise comparisons trump the tentative judgments if
there is any disagreement.

Good sources for "worst" candidates are losers of other methods.

Also losing candidates in strong pairwise defeats ... for any decent gauge
of defeat strength.

Enjoy!

Forest