[EM] Hey guys, look at this...

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Feb 20 03:07:53 PST 2023

On 2/20/23 01:21, Kevin Venzke wrote:

>> I'd wondered whether Robert didn't have any intellectual commitent to the criterion, but
>> had used it in argument against IRV and therefore found his options limited.
>
> I don't quite follow that since IRV satisfies Condorcet Loser.

I think the point is this: Robert says that if X beats Y pairwise, then
Y shouldn't be elected. This requires the Condorcet winner criterion to
be satisfied, because otherwise X = the CW, Y = anybody else violates it.

But suppose that a method didn't pass Condorcet loser. Then X = someone
who's not the Condorcet loser, Y = the Condorcet loser would violate the
criterion.

So this leads to a problem when proposing Condorcet,Plurality because if
a Condorcet loser is elected, then it seems to go against the spirit of
the criterion. About the only response I can think of is that if there's
a cycle, it's impossible to satisfy the criterion (because everyone has
someone else beating him), thus the criterion is suspended entirely for
such elections.

The hard mode interpretation would be that the constraint implies Smith.
But the problem then is that there are so few ways to make a method
that's both Smith and simple to express in natural language. There are
two relatively easy approaches, each with drawbacks: Copeland -- or
elimination (e.g. Benham); and with elimination you lose monotonicity
and (usually) summability[1], whereas Copeland seems to in some sense
always be vulnerable to strategy, no matter what you combine it with.
That's why it's hard mode :-)

-km

[1] Some uncommon exceptions include Nanson, Baldwin, and Raynaud.
Funnily, it seems that combining Copeland and Borda to Copeland//Borda
produces something both summable and monotone.