[EM] Hey guys, look at this...

Bob Richard (lists) lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Sat Feb 18 09:53:58 PST 2023

Colin makes one argument for learning to live with the plurality winner
when there is no Condorcet winner. But it is only part of the reason.
Even if the social choice theorists could agree among themselves on one
best (or good enough) solution to the riddle of cycles, politicians and
the voting public would still not accept anything more complicated than
Robert's draft bill, or -- possibly -- "choose the IRV winner when there
is no Condorcet winner." (The latter only because IRV is already a
somewhat familiar procedure.) The fact that the theorists cancel each
other out is only part of this situation.

Robert said earlier that there is a "political problem that might
eclipse the technical problem" (emphasis added). I would say instead
that the political problem absolutely eclipses the technical problem.

--Bob Richard