[EM] Hay guys, look at this...

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Sat Feb 18 09:49:12 PST 2023

Kristofer - firstly an apology, I gave the result for Condorcet//fptp
rather than Condorcet,fptp. The correct results are: minimax 64%,
condorcet+fptp 59%, copeland,fptp 53% (vice 47%).
    As for other good, simple methods, I find it hard to say. Lots of
reasonably accurate methods are aesthetically objectionable for a range
of reasons; for instance I think that Condorcet+random is at least as
good as Condorcet+fptp (presumably because it's hard to manipulate), but
no one would be happy to see so prominent a role given to chance.
    'Minisum' - which I think is the same as Tideman's "Simplified
Dodgson Rule" - is almost as good as minimax, but I can't see why anyone
would choose it in preference (it looks rather similar). It has the
drawback of having received little discussion in the literature.
    Copeland,dblv is somewhat better than Copeland,fptp. The double vote
elects the candidate with the greatest sum of first and second
preferences. It's a lousy voting method but an effective tie-break
because it tends to blow up in the face of anyone who attempts tactical
voting.
    Copeland,minimax is very good, but again why bother? Its resistance
to tactical voting comes from minimax; Copeland's method is little more
than a sleeping partner.
    Copeland//Borda (which is one interpretation of Dasgupta/Maskin) is
probably slightly better than Copeland,fptp.
    Benham's method and Black's are both pretty good. So are some of the
more complicated methods such as RP.

All this subject to the usual caveats about software reliablilty. The
results table is at
https://www.masterlyinactivity.com/condorcet/condorcet.html#results
    Colin