[EM] Hay guys, look at this...

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Feb 18 03:47:44 PST 2023

On 2/18/23 10:42, Colin Champion wrote:

>     But then I don't favour Kristofer's proposal either. My evaluation
> suggests that burial is a particular threat for Condorcet methods, and
> that in its presence their accuracies are: minimax 64%, condorcet+fptp
> 59%, copeland,fptp 48%. [Usual disclaimers apply.]

That's fair; I was simply trying to find a minimal change to the method
that would at least grant Smith or something like it.

Really, what I'm concerned about is that there's such a, for lack of a
better term, steep cliff from the Condorcet domain down to the Plurality
domain. So everything's nice as long as you play on top of the mountain,
but if you misstep (i.e. produce a cycle), then you don't gradually
degrade, you fall directly into plain old Plurality, with all of its
vote splitting problems. The discontinuity seems like something that's
just asking to be exploited.

Do you know of any alternate "bang for the buck" methods that would be
simple enough to be accepted?

-km