[EM] Fwd: Legacy IRV limitations

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Wed Dec 20 13:05:43 PST 2023

At large STV elections are far superior to IRV because it will represent
a much better choice of candidates, (you need only focus on those that
interest you) and get about 9/10 of first preferences elected. Rather
than the single member constituency case of prefering the candidate you
least dislike. Local Scottish IRV by-elections (instead of STV at
nation-wide elections) hardly differed from FPTP. And Australia general
elections have been stuck with the Alternative Vote or IRV for a century.

STV was party-monopoly enemy number one (to the Machine) subjected to
"battering ram" referendums and their propaganda largesse (Cambridge was
treated to 6 in 16 years). And when even that failed, the state
legislature forbade any other city or town in the state to have the
reform! State banning is mentioned by Hoag and Hallett as early as 1937.

STV would give minorities proportional representation, blacks certainly,
and one or two Communists promoting the rights of sweated New York
labor. IRV could not give minority representation. A seemingly unlikely
revulsion of a majority againt Republicans and Democrats would be
robbing Peter to pay Paul, and not democratically acceptable.

Richard Lung.