[EM] Legacy IRV limitations

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Mon Dec 18 10:33:11 PST 2023

On 12/17/2023 6:30 PM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
 > "Ballots that do not help voters’ top choices win count for their next
 > choice."
 >
 > That's the 2nd sentence about RCV at FairVote's website.

I agree with Michael Garman that this is not a significant
misrepresentation from FairVote.

In particular, it's not the significant(!) kind of misrepresentation I
had in mind when I started this thread.

Examples of what I believe are significant misrepresentations from the
FairVote organization are:

* Overvotes cannot be counted, and it's not worth attempting to count them

* The candidate with the fewest transferred votes is always the least
popular candidate

* The winner in Burlington VT was the correct winner

* Electing the Condorcet winner is not important, and Condorcet methods
are not worth considering

* Ranked choice voting counting rules should use the wording supplied by
the FairVote organization or the Ranked Choice Voting Resource Center
(even though that wording is awful, and seemingly worded to make it
difficult to change to anything better)

* Ranked choice voting software must be backwards compatible with prior
elections in Australia (even though their ballots require a voter to
write numbers in a box, and their counting process is based on shortcuts
that arose to minimize how many times each paper ballot had to be looked at)

(There might be others, but the one Michael Ossipoff presents is not one
of them.)

For comparison, the biggest misrepresentations from the fans of STAR
voting are (off the top of my head):

* Ranked choice voting is vulnerable to vote splitting (this is a big lie!)

* Ranked choice ballots cannot be counted in ways that are fair (which
is implied by presenting IRV as if it's the only way to count ranked
choice ballots)

* Claiming they "officially" support a method for counting ranked choice
ballots ("Ranked Robin") yet never mentioning that method as a possible
alternative to IRV (when they villify ranked choice ballots)

* STAR voting is resistant to tactical voting and strategic nomination
(which ignores the case in which a large minority offers two similar
candidates and tells their voters to top-rank both of those candidates
and bottom-rank all other candidates)

* Summability is still important (even though we now have very fast
fiberoptic speeds instead of slow modem speeds)

* Monotonicity failures should never occur, and are worse than other
failures (including Condorcet failures)

* Pairwise counting is not important (even though STAR voting's second
step is to do pairwise counting between the top two)

* STAR voting is a better kind of ranked choice voting

Here are some misrepresentations from the Election Science Foundation:

* Score voting would be a reasonable choice in elections

* Approval voting would be suitable for general elections

* The simplicity of Approval voting justifies not pursuing any method
that uses ranked choice ballots

* Ranked choice ballots cannot be counted in ways that are fair (by
presenting IRV as if it were the only option)

(I might be forgetting one or two more.)

Finally here's a misrepresentation that applies to all three organizations:

* Our organization taught the voters in such-and-such city (or state)
about the evils of vote splitting so our organization's preferred method
should be adopted in this city (or state) and no other method should be
considered by the voters or elected officials

I'm pleased to learn (from the discussion between the two Michaels) that
Rob Richie is no longer the leader of the FairVote organization.  He was
the source of lots of misrepresentation.

About a year or so ago I participated in a three-way Zoom meeting with
Deb Otis who works at the FairVote organization.  I was pleased that she
did not make any misrepresentations about IRV or STV.

However, I disagree with her claim that correctly counting overvotes is
not worth the extra effort needed.  Besides being an issue about spoiled
ballots, counting "overvotes" also allows a voter to rank their
most-disliked candidate lower than all other candidates when there are
just 6 choice rankings and more than 6 candidates (which affects ballot
real estate, which election officials regard as very important).

Also, I disagree with her claim that the failure in Burlington was
acceptable because it was just one election out of about 400 elections.
(This was before Alaska's special election that also had a Condorcet
failure.)

I'll clarify that I've softened my opinion about Condorcet failures.
I'll accept a few such failures if the election method gains significant
other kinds of advantages.

However, I strongly believe that when IRV eliminations reach the top
three candidates, the presence of a pairwise losing candidate (who would
lose both one-on-one contests against the other two candidates) should
not cause the majority-supported candidate to lose.

Typically I shorten this point by saying that pairwise losing candidates
should be eliminated when they occur.  Yet because Michael Ossipoff
likes to jump on wording-based issues, I'll clarify that I really don't
care about the exact order of elimination of the candidates who get
eliminated prior to the top-three round.

Getting back to my main point, my hope is that the people leading the
three main election-method organizations (FairVote, STAR ..., ESF)
recognize that making misrepresentations undermines our goal of ending
"first past the post" (academically known as "plurality voting").

And I'll repeat my specific request to please(!) avoid
misrepresentations that might block the state-legislature-approved(!)
referendum for ranked choice voting that will be on Oregon's 2024
November election ballot.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy