[EM] Fwd: Legacy IRV limitations

Michael Garman michael.garman at rankthevote.us
Tue Dec 19 05:42:39 PST 2023

Okay, I’ll concede that I was thinking about the last 30 years or so — what
one might call the “FairVote era” but as I didn’t specify I will stand
corrected. By and large, those historical repeals were motivated by racism
and the Red Scare — opponents feared that STV (and it was STV, not IRV, in
most cases) would give Black people and communists political power.

I’d forgotten about Aspen. Fair enough.

Pierce County repealed RCV because the statewide switch to top-two
primaries rendered ranked choice general elections obsolete.