[EM] Legacy IRV limitations

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Sun Dec 17 09:35:34 PST 2023

On 12/16/2023 9:04 PM, Michael Garman wrote:
> The Ranked Choice Voting Resource Center is an independent entity fully
> unaffiliated with FairVote. Hope this helps!

Thank you, Michael, for clarifying that the Ranked Choice Voting
Resource Center RCVRC is not officially(!) affiliated with FairVote.

Then why does RCVRC have the same misunderstanding that the leader of
the FairVote organization has been pushing for decades?

Especially, I'd like to understand why RCVRC pushed onto the Portland
Oregon election officials the idea that skipping(!) "overvotes" was a
recommended option.  That's worse than ignoring the remaining rankings!

That skipping option works in Australia where a voter hand-writes a
number next to each candidate's name.  (They don't have to worry about
"ballot real estate" because there is just one box for each candidate.)
But it doesn't make sense here in the U.S. where we mark ovals in
"choice" columns.  And where ballot real estate is very important.

(In fact, the upcoming statewide referendum for Oregon adopts RCV for
just a limited number of contests because election officials were
concerned that adopting it would cause Oregon ballots to require more
than one sheet of paper.)

I see that your website -- RankTheVoteNYC.org -- shows that in your NYC
elections "The scanner will reject any ballot where you mark more than
one candidate for the same rank  – in other words, if you fill in more
than one oval in the same column."

Does RCVRC not know that it's easy to correctly count those marks?
(Just pair up equivalent ballots and allocate those "paired" ballots in
equal numbers to those same-ranked candidates.)

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy