[EM] High5 voting (~ Smith//Approval on a reduced set)

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 20:03:55 PST 2023

I like various different kinds of voting reforms, including this one (That
doesn’t that mean I’d propose it).

Some methods that I like are too complicated, or make too much demand on
voters, or are too arbitrary. This is one such.

If there’s a Condorcet proposal as complicated as High-Five, I don’t know
about it.

I like High-Five’s evaluatory ratings.

E & Reject should be combined as Reject.

The uses of the ratings in the count seem arbitrary. I’m not saying that it
doesn’t sound right, but it’s just that there are many ways it could be
done.

As much as I like the evaluatory ratings, I don’t know how many people
would agree & want to be expected to vote all the candidates by all those
merit-levels. I like it, but would it play in Peoria?

And it remains a rating-system. As such, it can’t match the
strategy-freeness of Condorcet.

It’s complexity completely wipes-out the huge simplicity, familiarity  &
unarbitrariness-elegance advantage of STAR & Approval.

For me as a voter High-Five would be fine, & it’s one of those that I like,
but it doesn’t meet the needs for a public-proposal.