[EM] Some thoughts on Condorcet and Burial

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sat Dec 9 00:18:33 PST 2023

> And two, with this model there can be no controversy as to who should
> win. Every method has no choice other than to
> elect the candidate with the most votes.
>
> [/quote]
>

> Yes, that’s the definition of Vote-For-1 (VF1).The thing is, however,
> that some of us don’t like VF1.

In the model (initial scenario) I was describing all the voters were
voting-for-one voluntarily, in a method that allows them to rank
as many candidates as they like.

> With wv methods, CW,Implicit-Approval, or MDDA, I’d always employ
> defensive-truncation, never ranking anyone whom I wouldn’t approve if
> the election were by Approval.…& would advise others to do the same.
>
>In the case of Winning Votes methods, isn't the correct zero-info.
strategy the reverse of that, i.e. to rank equal-top all those you would
approve in an Approval election, and strictly rank
all the others (random-filling if necessary)?

That is one of the reasons I don't like it.

> The autodeterrent methods (when the best ones have been chosen) will
> deter offensive strategy by electing the Bus with greater probability
> than the buriers’ favorite.…without anyone having to use any
> defensive-strategy.

What in your opinion is the best (or at least one of the best) of the
"auto-deterrent" methods?  I'm curious to see a clear definition and an
example or two.

Chris Benham