[EM] makeshift combinations

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat Aug 26 04:39:30 PDT 2023

Combining an approval vote with a preference vote is an example of a
makeshift combination method. It cannott be justified but it is
attempting to do something better, not amenable to existing methods.

Approval voting is really classificatory voting. That is to say a
classical logic black or white, all or nothing, approval or rejection
vote. Yes, approval voting seems to be being tried as rejection or
elimination voting.

This corresponds to the first thing HG Wells said about that other
classificatory vote, the x-vote: We no longer have elections in this
country (UK) we only have Rejections. (1912. The Labour Unrest).

A preference vote covers opposites and everything in between. But it is
only used as an election. Preference voting can, however, also be used
in an exclusion count, including the whole range of dislikes and likes.
That is the system I invented.

Regards,

Richard Lung.