[EM] Condorcet meeting

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Thu Aug 24 09:41:41 PDT 2023

On 2023-08-24 15:55, Colin Champion wrote:
> Also, I'm not sure if cardinal voting (such as Star) solves anything.
> For most voters, sorting a list of candidates has quadratic work, and
> has to be avoided if the field is large. But is cardinal voting any
> better? If the scores had an intrinsic meaning, you could work through
> the list and assign the correct value to each candidate. But they don't,
> so you'll start by assigning tentative scores until you find an
> inconsistency - eg. two candidates have the same score but vastly
> different acceptability - and then you have to adjust the numbers you've
> already given. You'll probably end up sorting and grouping into quintiles.

My idea with approval was just that voters would think (at least I
would) "I'll just approve anyone who I think is reasonably good, we'll
sort it out in the general". While having to use approval to elect a
single candidate would be very hard (what's the other voters' scalings?
what should mine be? how do I deal with the Burr dilemma? etc), it's
easier when the particular ballot is much more accommodating of noise.

This would fail if we get to a multiparty/candidate system that's
vibrant enough that there are more than six viable candidates. At that
point we'd be kind of out of luck; at least the overhead of being
careful with one's vote would return.

-km