[EM] Condorcet meeting

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Thu Aug 24 06:31:40 PDT 2023

On 24/08/2023 14:02, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
 > My intuitive response is to do some type of open Approval primary.
 > The incommensurability and chicken dilemma problems hit a lot less
 > when there are 5 candidates to spread the error over.

I wouldn't have thought that this would work very well. One of the
problems is that most voters will not initially know much about most
candidates, so they won't give them approval.
    It seems to me that voter ignorance is the main problem with ranked
voting if the field is large. Voters will truncate out the candidates
they don't know much about, and this will be misinterpreted as a low
preference. So the first round should give obscure candidates a chance
of the spotlight.
    CJC