[EM] Approval-enhanced IRV (take 2)

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 16:24:01 PDT 2023

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023, 9:36 AM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:

> This is I think more appealing and streamlined than my earlier version.
>
> *Voter strictly rank from the top however many candidates they wish.
>
> Also they can mark one candidate as the highest ranked candidate they
> approve.
>
> Default approval is only for the top-ranked candidate.
>
> Determine the IRV winner.
>
> On ballots that approve the IRV winner, approval for any candidate or
> candidates
> ranked below the IRV winner is withdrawn.
>
> Elect the pairwise winner between the (thus modified) approval winner
> and the IRV
> winner.*

So if a voter was giving out to much approval by approving below one of the
mandatory semi-finalists, the method fixes that faux pas for free!

What if the approval cutoff were simply moved adjacent to the IRV winner?

That would probably give the IRV winner's strongest defeater too much help,
and wrest too much control of the approval lever from the sovereign voters.

 It looks like you are treating the malady with the minimal effective dose
of the right medicine!

Great!

Who will spread the good news?