[EM] STAR

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 15:57:54 PDT 2023

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023, 5:38 AM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:

> Toby,
>
> Also a run-off between the most two approved candidates still has STAR's
> clone problem.
>

> Some years ago I suggested that 2-round Top-Two Runoff  could be improved
> by using approval ballots in the first round
> and then having a runoff between the most approved candidate (the AW) and
> the candidate with the most approval opposition
> to the AW (i.e. is most approved on ballots that don't approve the AW).

This is a simpler way of specifying the candidate with the second greatest
Transferred Vote Count in Martin Harper's approval vote transfer scheme ...
which he invented as a tongue in cheek response to IRV voters' claims that
Approval failed "one person, one vote."

Here's my generalization of Martin Harper's idea to Score Voting:

Suppose that for each candidate X, TS(X) is X's Total Score... the sum over
all score ballots B, of B(X), the score assigned to X by B.

Then ballot B's (one and only) "transferred vote" should go to the
candidate X with the largest product
X*B(X).

So the analogous score runoff would be between the two candidates with the
most transferred votes as determined by this score vote transfer scheme.