[EM] STAR

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 17:01:49 PDT 2023

That's pretty good ... not too bad for a deterministic method, if in a good
faith, no pressure context.

Some people would resort to sortition, especially if the decision is one
that arises frequently ... every Friday, say.

Other  lottery methods exist that reduce the amount of randomness (the
entropy) but remain proportional (like random ballot).

During a  ten year period winding down in 2015, Jobst and I intensively
explored how much you can limit entropy (maximize the degree of consensus)
under the constraint of minimal acceptable fairness ... which for us was
the same kind of long term proportionality that random ballot favorite
would ensure ... so min randomness required for proportional fairness ...
or expressed differently ... max consensus with zero sacrifice  of strict
statistically proportional representation.

Our exploration culminated in Jobst's invention of MaxParC , a Maximum
Partial Consensus method based on ballots where the voters specify (for
each alternative) how many other voters would have to be on board before
they would be willing to join with them in support of that alternative.

>From that information you can easily figure out which alternative has the
potential for the most partial consensus... and that option will be awarded
a lottery probability in proportion to that max potential support ... etc.

That's the best known solution for maximising consensus without
compromising proportional fairness.

But in any context where MaxParC would give 100 percent consensus, there is
always a simpler lottery method that would ensure the same result among
rational voters who are already aware of the other voters' preferences ...
so they don't need to fill out MaxParC ballots.

If rational, well informed voters already know among themselves that at
least one candidate is a shoo-in for neing a 100 percent implicit approval
winner (or a 100 percent consensus MaxParC winner), then a score ballot is
all we need ...

... among the candidates with 100 percent implicit approval, elect the one
with the greatest score total.

The projected MaxParC winner C should be among those 100 percent Implici
Approval candidates.

However, if (by some rare fluke) neither C nor any other candidate
amassed100 percent implicit approval, then the winner must be chosen by
random ballot favorite, in order to ensure fair proportionality.

Does that seem to make sense?

fws