[EM] STAR

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Mon Aug 14 22:27:58 PDT 2023

Toby,

> But it is still interesting that STAR does well in Jameson's simulations.
Not to me, or not in any way that reflects positively on STAR.

> As for what the boxes are about, they are about ensuring that voting
> methods have sensible behaviour in certain situations, so I wouldn't
> expect them to necessarily negatively correlate with a "good" result.

Then you are not using the right boxes.

> It's what I just replied to Kristofer - the fact that there's no way
> that you can consistently define society's preference in a way that
> you can determine whether society prefers A or B by looking at the
> pairwise comparison.

Then what do you "look at" ??

> One of the reasons I bring this up is that there are some people who
> think that only a Condorcet method could even be considered democratic.

I am not entirely in that camp, only because meeting the Condorcet
criterion is "expensive". All Condorcet methods have some Burial
incentive (fail Later-no-Help) and fail Favourite Betrayal.

So I consider some methods that don't have one of those problems to be
acceptable.

> I would counter this by saying that it's based on this logical
> contradiction.

I'm still not seeing this "logical contradiction".

> I would also counter it by saying that someone could equally say
> (perhaps have a greater claim) that a method cannot be democratic if
> it fails participation

I don't see that either. So which method that meets Participation do you
like?

> Two of the main ones I tend to look out for are monotonicity and
> independence of clones because they are obviously things we would want
> and they don't seem to be too restrictive in terms of methods they allow

STAR fails both of them, "badly".

STAR is obviously garbage and a strategy farce,  as I'll explain later
on EM.

Chris