[EM] STAR

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Thu Aug 17 00:37:49 PDT 2023

I think that bringing cardinal voting into the discussion is a red herring.
    My contention is as follows. Suppose that we are given a set of
ballots (eg. a set of rankings of candidates) and an adequetely
specified generative model (eg. a jury model or a spatial model). Then
there is a mathematically identifiable rightful winner (I shall give an
example in a moment). The fact that given additional information (eg.
cardinal preferences) we might prefer a different candidate is
irrelevant - it is a question of there being a valid statistical
inference from the information given.
    We might also consider the question of which is the best candidate
sub specie aeternitatis. This seems to me equally irrelevant. If there
exists such as thing as an objectively best candidate, then what makes
him objectively best is nothing to do with the voters' opinions.

Example of identifying the rightful winner: let the ballots come from a
Gaussian jury model. The candidates have valences (merits) drawn from a
standard univariate Gaussian, and each voter's assessment of the valence
of each candidate is a noisy estimate of the true merit, obtained by
adding an iid N(0,sigma) noise term to the true valence. A perfect
voting method will elect the candidate whose posterior expected valence
is greatest. This is a well defined and soluble mathematical problem.

CJC