[EM] STAR

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Aug 16 21:42:56 PDT 2023

Toby Pereira wrote:

> I'm not a fan of STAR, but I am still interested in seeing how it
> stands up to scrutiny given that it has a following. (Actually I'm not
> aware of how STAR fails monotonicity. I was under the impression that
> it passed.)

Toby,

To give you a bit of a preview before I get around to cooking up all the
examples, nothing with such obvious Push-over incentive can meet
mono-raise (aka "monotonicty")

Suppose  X beats Y in the final.   Now suppose on some ballots with Y
above X, we raise X so it is now above Y.  That could reduce Y's score
enough for it to be replaced in the final
by Z, a candidate that pairwise beats X.

Voters who are mainly concerned to have their favourite X win and are
fairly certain that X will reach the final will have a strong incentive
to give X max points (5) and then also
give a 4 (or even a 5) to all those candidates that they think X can
beat pairwise.

If enough voters use that strategy and it fails, both the finalists
could be candidates with little sincere support.

Chris Benham