[EM] A quick and dirty variant of STAR

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Aug 12 13:49:23 PDT 2023

I've been trying, on and off, to find ways to "properly" generalize STAR
so that it's cloneproof and also respects intensity of preference. But
this is really hard. It's possible to get a mostly unambiguous
definition of honest rated ballots (up to an affine transformation) by
basing the ratings on lotteries.

But incommensurability is a pain: how do you count two voters' rated
ballots equal if one of them thinks that only totalitarian dictators
deserve a 0/10 and only perfect candidates deserve a 10/10, while the
other normalizes however slight his preferences are?

Not having any good answer, I can only resort to normalizing every
ballot so every voter gets the same power over the contest that counts,
whatever it is. (Or all of them at once, if some kind of Condorcet
analog can be found, but I haven't had any luck yet.)

So here's a quick and dirty method template based on this idea and my
response to Chris Benham:

1. Take the input rated ballots and clone every candidate three times.
2. Use some multiwinner method to pick three finalists.
3. If they're all clones of the same candidate, that candidate wins. If
they're two candidates and a clone, then the pairwise winner wins.
4. Otherwise, remove every candidate but the three and normalize every
voter's ballot to span the whole scale. (Other normalization methods
could be used, e.g. l-2 norm normalization.)
5. Select the Range winner according to the normalized ballots.

This might be cloneproof, but I'm not sure if it's robust enough; it's
possible that adding a near-clones could affect the behavior of the
multiwinner method. That's part of why it's quick and dirty.

The other part is that in close three-candidate rated elections, steps
1-4 do nothing. Then step 5 becomes simply ordinary Range. And these
elections would then exhibit the same kind of Burr dilemma problem that
causes Range to degrade into Approval, placing the burden of manual DSV
back on honest voters. And that's just what we'd want to avoid!

So one way to avoid that is to use some other norm than max-norm when
normalizing. But then it has kind of weird behavior, because if the
finalists are one candidate and two clones of another candidate, then
the candidate whose clone got into the finalist set will be punished by
the lp normalization. Thus the two candidate case is no longer "whoever
beats the other pairwise wins", but there's an odd nonmonotonicity/free
riding analog where getting too much support is bad, because it makes
the multiwinner method also pick a clone of you, which hurts you in the
final.

So that's another reason it's quick and dirty. But I thought I'd throw
it out there anyway!

-km