[EM] Copeland, Landau

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 16:52:15 PDT 2023

Kevin is absolutely right ... all the more reason to heed Toby Pereira's
advice of using high definition ratings or else rankings with approval
cutoffs for Condorcet methods.

If you have a monotone one at a time elimination method, you can make it
Landau efficient by "covering takedown:"

Every time you eliminate a candidate take down with it every candidate that
is covers.

Although this disturbs the one-by-one property, the transitivity of
covering ensures that the order of take down of those candidates covered by
X does not matter: if X covers Y so Y is eliminated with X, and Y covers Z,
so Z is eliminated with Y, then Z is also covered by X, so Z is already
taken down by X without waiting for Y to be eliminated.