[EM] Sequential elimination method that turns out to be a generalization of fpA-fpC

Filip Ejlak tersander at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 13:49:08 PDT 2023

(disclaimer: unfortunately there exists a 5-candidate cycle example that
breaks monotonicity and my day is ruined, I show the example later)

> 8: A>B>C>D
> 9: B>D>A>C
> 12: C>D>A>B

So, in the first round we got B covering C, so B score includes C's 1st
preferences:
A score: 8
B score: 9+12=21
C score: 12
D score: 0

If A got eliminated, we would have:
A score: 0 (*-8*)
B score: 29 (*+8*) - receives votes from A, now a Condorcet winner
C score: 12 (+0)
D score: 0 (+0)

With B eliminated, we would have:
A score: 8 (+0)
B score: 0 (*-21*)
C score: 12 (no change)
D score: 9 (*+9*) - receives B's votes

With C eliminated, we would have:
A score: 8 (+0)
B score: 9 (*-12*) - loses C's votes, as they go to D which isn't covered
by B
C score: 0 (-12)
D score: 12 (*+12*) - receives C's votes

With D eliminated, we would have:
A score: 29 (*+21*) - now a Condorcet winner, covers everyone
B score: 21 (+0)
C score: 12 (+0)
D score: 0 (*+0*)

The greatest increases and decreases are bolded. We calculate the penalties
for each elimination: