[EM] A link between max A>B and "maximally beneficial elimination"

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Tue Apr 18 08:58:36 PDT 2023

In my last post, I mentioned the idea of making A's score so that when
candidates who are not A or X or Y are eliminated, the result of the A
vs X vs Y first preference Copeland contest gives A the highest score;
with the idea that this would preserve monotonicity because if A is
raised, then A's first preferences is never lowered in any reduced
election, so the max operator ensures monotonicity.

In that post I said that the elimination shouldn't eliminate the
Plurality winner.

But here's a fun part: if we disregard this constraint, and try to
"clean up" IRV in the same manner, we get the max A>B method that I
stumbled across a while ago, where A's score is the maximum landslide
virtual runoff he's involved in, and the candidate with the highest such
score wins.

Why does that happen? Let E be some elimination order that doesn't
include either A or some other candidate X. A's IRV score under the
elimination order E is the Plurality score he obtains when the
elimination order is followed and only A and X remain. And A's
unqualified score is A's score with the elimination ordering that
maximizes A's score.

It's pretty easy to see that the order that one eliminates everybody but
A and X doesn't matter for determining A's score; in the end only A and
X matter. And since only A and X are left, A's score under an
elimination order that spares X is simply A>X (in the absence of any
equal-rank).

So the task of finding an elimination order that maximizes A's score is
reduced to finding some X so that A>X is maximized. Which is what the
max A>B method does!

The interesting part about this is that max A>B's strategy vulnerability
is all compromise and no burial. Thus it seems that (at least in this
case), trying to rescue monotonicity by creating an optimized
elimination order -- rather than just eliminating directly -- doesn't
produce burial incentive. So creating a custom elimination order for
some method in such a way that the elimination order never leads to
monotonicity, might be a way to get a monotone burial-resistant method.

Unfortunately, naively porting this to Friendly Voting or first
preference Copeland doesn't produce anything useful. Take Friendly
Voting (really Friendly Cover):
f(A) = (sum over all candidates X weakly covers: fpA) - (sum over all
candidates Y beating A pairwise: fpY)

Then the elimination schedule method with no constraints reduces to: A's
score is f(A) with everybody but two candidates eliminated, and these
two candidates chosen so that A's score is maximized.

If A is in the Smith set and there are at least two candidates outside
it, then A's score will be equal to the number of voters, which is
completely uninformative. And this also shows that the "making the case
for A" approach (produce an elimination schedule that maximizes A's
score) isn't cloneproof.

But it's an interesting primitive. Perhaps something good can be done
with it by moving Condorcet detection outside, or restricting what
candidates the max can be taken over, or doing leximax as a tiebreaker...

I suspect that the following methods are all monotone:
	- max A>B
	- f(A) = choose a set S of candidates to maximize the score when first
all candidates in S are eliminated and then Friendly Cover is done on
the reduced election -- regardless of the size of S

and that the "choose a set S" hybrid methods with the base method being
IRV (or first preference Copeland) is also burial resistant, no matter
the size of S.

Perhaps even a Carey-esque primitive would work, something like "choose
a subset S with more than 1/3 of the first preferences, then eliminate
them, then choose a subset Q with more than half, then eliminate all but
some X, then A>X is A's score". But Carey fails mutual majority, so it
has its limits.