[EM] Truncation (was re: Defeat Strength)

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 07:31:31 PDT 2022

Your approach seems to be close to the tradition of voters estimating the utility of each candidate, and then putting them in linear order, based on those identified utilities. That is a good approach. No chances given to influence the elections any more than that. Everyone understands that approach, and can vote accordingly with full strength of one's vote.

The "unmarked treated as equal last" rule could be seen as adding to this the idea that all given opinions should be positive and not negative. The unmarked candidates must thus be at zero level. (There are also other, more practical reasons behind the "equal last" practice. It may be good not to give totally unknown candidates any "unearned" points.)

One could indeed "force" voters to always rank all the marked candidates (i.e. explicitly marked ties not allowed) without losing much. There is always a small difference, and if not, one can always flip a coin. In some ballot formats equal rankings are natural, and in some others unnecessarily complex.

I don't actually see any practical benefits in the "A B" approach or other "no opinion" additions . It is an interesting theoretical area of study to see what kind of additional information we could use (up to free form algorithms), but for large competitive single winner elections with independent voters the basic approach of ranking + "equal last" seems to be a stable basis. (Different strength preferences (A>>B>C) might be useful somewhere - or seriously - maybe not really :-) .)

(Different defeat strength measurements may treat those pairwise ties in different ways, but that's another story.)

Juho