[EM] Truncation (was re: Defeat Strength)

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 04:40:54 PDT 2022

Hi,

I noted discussion on if "not marked in the ballot" should mean "equal last" or "no opinion". Does someone have an opinion on if also "equally good" (explicit or implicit "A=B") and "no opinion" (explicit or implicit "A B") should be seen as two different opinions? One possible difference in meaning is "if A is about to get elected, also B should be about to get elected" vs "I don't care at all if one or both of them are elected or not".

BR, Juho

P.S. In typical elections the "equal last" interpretation is often a practical approach for multiple reasons. But in theory one could be more fine-tuned. One could even allow voters to give free form opinions like "if A is elected, then B should not be elected". But maybe that would be already too much for most practical elections.