[EM] Defeat Strength

James Gilmour jamesgilmour at f2s.com
Fri Sep 9 09:16:32 PDT 2022

In an STV-PR election (a.k.a. RCV), the voter's second and any subsequent preferences are contingency choices, to be used only in
the contingency that the voter's first choice candidate cannot be elected (because of lack of support) or has already been elected
to represent a full quota of voters (and so does not need the additional support).

Where a voter does not mark a preference against every candidate, that voter is telling the Returning Officer that he or she has no
preference among the unmarked candidates, and that if any choice has to be made among those candidates, he or she is happy to leave
that decision to those voters who do have preferences among those candidates.  Unmarked preferences mean nothing more than "I have
opted out at this point and leave any further decisions to others".

James Gilmour
Edinburgh, Scotland

exactly as if they were ranked at the bottom level in the single transferable vote model.  I would not like to see that meaning
changed with an RCV election decided with different rules.  In other words, I would not want to see the meaning of an unranked
candidate to be changed so that somehow the unranked candidate is seen as preferred over any ranked candidate.