[EM] Defeat Strength

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 18:25:05 PDT 2022

I'm happy that this thread has excited so much interest ... and astute
comments ... obviously the result of careful and thoughtful study and
experimentation.

"Equity" was not the apt word. There are many kinds of fairness, as the
subject of fair division makes clear , what I try to aim for is the kind
of fairness that minimizes reasonable people thinking that the rules were
stacked against them from the start ... an admittedly  nebulous concept.

What is the best tweak of Borda that restores some semblance of clone
independence?

 I once suggested something called "ranked rankings" that (like Borda)
removes the burden of numerical quantification from the voter .. who is
only required to supply a rough relative strength preference between
alternatives:

A=B>C>D>>>E>>F=G, for example.

A and B would both get 100% approval whileF and G would each get zero.
The separation between B and C, and C and D would both be X, while the
separation between D and E would be 3x, and between E and F would be 2x.

The total number of chevrons (the ">" symbols) is seven, so we must have
 7X=100, which means x is 14 + 2/7 or approximately 14.3

The voter doesn't have to do any of this arithmetic, which allows the
"ranked rankings" to be turned into ratings.

If all of the rankings are of equal strength (one chevron each, say), then
the resulting ratings will agree with the normalized Borda scores. In other
words, this way of counting "ranked rankings" style ballots is a precise
generalization of Borda that satisfies clone independence (for all
practical purposes).

In particular, there is no need to indicate strength of preference if they
are all roughly equal in strength.

Does any version of this idea have any potential as a basis for a public
proposal?

-Forest