[EM] Defeat Strength

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Sep 4 12:56:00 PDT 2022

Hi,

I'm afraid that defeat strength is such a tangible concept that it inclines us to view it as
a finished product that we can now simply customize as we please. Or worse: That we are
duty-bound to measure it "accurately." We maximize some desired property, readily identified
within a single pairwise contest, and then apply the minmax algorithm to this ranking, and
expect it to result in a method whose properties have some kind of relationship to the
property we were maximizing, or properties that will at least be as good as the defeat
strength metric sounded.

I couldn't count how many times I had a nice idea, tried to use minmax or River with it,
and discovered some horrible basic flaw. Or just mediocre results.

I see Forest wants to lock a 1%:0% victory first because there is no one around to object
to that particular point. Only the local question is considered, not whether "hard feelings"
might come from some other factor than this. That's the key issue. What can we say about the
overall method that results from applying this logic? We have no real idea, without
checking.

The question then of why anything would "represent defeat strength better than margins" is
strange to me. Defeat strength is just a possible tool to get to the winner. There's no
need for it to represent anything with fidelity to any principle. It might be a marketing
concern, I admit. But when evaluating method properties you only need to know who wins when;
you won't talk about the underlying algorithm and indeed you don't even need to know what
it is.

I don't know what to make of the term "equity" below. Can reducing strategic incentives
cause inequity? How can I tell whether a method is equitable? (Of course then I mean its
*results* being equitable, rather than its method of calculation.)

Usually there's a simple approach to reducing strategy: If a lot of people want something,
such that they could lie on the ballot in order to get it, then just let them have it. Then
that's a complaint of inequity you can avoid, if they were to not get what they want. Maybe
there are other types of inequity, but I'm not sure what, staying within a majoritarian
perspective.

Kevin
votingmethods.net