[EM] Defeat Strength

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Sun Sep 4 08:22:02 PDT 2022

Forest – this isn’t an answer, but a dissertation on a related topic.
    I recently read Condorcet's Essai, and then commentaries by
Todhunter, Black and Young. I concluded that Condorcet's probability
theory was all at sea, and that his commentators were too kind to him.
In my view you cannot make sense of voting using pure probability theory
(even turning a blind eye to the faults of a jury model); you need to
fall back on statistics. This makes it possible to get away from
Condorcet's untenable independence assumption and also to correct
another fatal error in his method. He assumes that when a voter votes
A>B>C, he is no likelier to be right in placing A above C than in
placing A above B. I believe that this is impossible if erroneous
rankings are treated as random errors. But if you try to find the
relation between the likelihoods of one-place errors and two-place
errors using pure probability theory, you just can't get started. You
have to use a statistical model - eg. assume that true candidate merits
are Gaussianly distributed, estimated merits are contaminated by
Gaussian noise, and that a voter ranks candidates in decreasing order of
estimated merit. If you do this, you can find the relative chances of
one-place and two-place errors (subject to suitable distributional
assumptions).
    Having done this, you can say: "I will give candidate A one point
more than candidate B whenever he comes one place higher in a ballot,
and x points more whenever he comes two places higher"; x=1 gives the
Condorcet criterion, x=2 gives the Borda count. By my calculation, the
optimal x is almost exactly 2 (and almost independent of distributional
assumptions), and the Borda count is therefore almost optimal under a
jury model with 3 candidates. Condorcet thought his jury theorem showed
his own criterion to be optimal in the same case.
    So I would say that you have to recast your question: let x and y be
the candidate merits, distributed as N(0,1); let the noise be
distributed as N(0,sigmasquared); let sigmasquared be governed by some
fairly diffuse prior (maybe 1/sigmasquared). What is the probability
that x>y when each of 100 noisy estimates of x is larger than the
corresponding noisy estimate of y?
    If I have time, I might attempt the calculation.
       CJC