[EM] Random Ballot Favorite Chain Climbing/Building

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 06:56:21 PDT 2022

It turns out that what we want is chain building by fitting each newly
drawn ballot favorite into the chain where-ever possible without destroying
its total order relation. (A chain is a totally ordered set.)

So chain building can ascend or descend ad libitum ... as they say, "Just
follow your nose"

Also it simplifies everything conceptually and computationally if we
replace and shuffle the ballots between all consecutive drawings.

Remember that the proto example was the candidate cycle ABCA with
respective first place probabilities of p=fpA, q=fpB, and r=fpC.

The possible maximal chains are ...
A>B, B>C, and C>A,
with probabilities proportional to ...
pq, qr, and rp, respectively,
when chains are built ad libitum.

The condition for A winning is
pq>max(qr,rp),
which (turns out to be) equivalent to
(p-r)>max(q-p, r-q),
within this probability context of p+q+r=1.

This last inequality is our fpA-fpC condition for A winning in our proto
example.

Next, a simple introduction to the method suitable for a voters' pamphlet