[EM] Random Ballot Favorite Chain Climbing

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 13:24:13 PDT 2022

One important (but easy) correction:

In order to make this method Monotone, we have to start the chain from the
bottom of the list ListF. That's what puts the "Climbing" in Random Ballot
Favorite Chain Climbing!

A comment on exposition for public consumption ... no mention of Condorcet
Smith, Landau, or Banks should be included in the method description, any
more than a brief introduction to IRV needs to explain what to do if the
last three remaining candidates have the same first place transferred vote
totals.  Every generic public ballot set will have a Banks member with at
least one first place vote, so no need to get people worried right off the
bat about what to do in the impossibly rare contrary case.  Stick with
generic conditions in the voters' pamphlets ... just make sure that the
rare exceptional possibilities are covered in the published official legal
definition, as well as the RAQ's (Rarely Asked Questions) if not the FAQ's!

I only mentioned it at all because of its earlier mention in related EM
list threads.

-Forest