[EM] Friendly Voting: Some Criteria Compliance Proof Sketches

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 21:43:29 PDT 2022

This "friendly approval" turns out to be pretty blah.

But here's a new method that has fpA-SumfpC as a first order approximation:

It is of the form elect argmax L(X), where L is a lottery on the candidates
defined by the following experiment:

Draw a random ballot A.

Let f(A) be the candidate most favored on ballot A.

Continue drawing ballots, and let C be the first ballot drawn such that
f(C) defeats f(A), provided there is such a ballot.

Continue drawing ballots, and let D1be the first ballot for which f(D1)
defeats both f(A) and f(C), if there is such a ballot.
Continue until you reach the last ballot DMax in this sequence ... the one
such that f(DMax) defeats all of the previous favorites in the sequence,
but is maximal in that regard ... no ballot has a favorite that defeats
both f(DMax) and all of the previous favorites in the sequence.

This last ballot favorite DMax is the lottery winner, which is the result
of a random experiment.

To get a deterministic method based on this experiment, we define L(X) as
the probability that X will be the lottery winner DMax. This probability is
not a random variable, but is completely determined by the voted ballots.

So our election method (elect argmaxL(X))  is deterministic.

If I am not mistaken, the first few terms in the calculation of L(A) are
fp(A) -fp(C1)-fp(C2) - ... -fp(Cn), where the Ck are the candidates that
defeat A.

The higher degree terms are beyond the scope of my tired brain.

But the thought experiment gives some probabilistic meaning to the original
fpA-SumfpC formula.

It might suggest how to alter the experiment to get a method with better
properties ... say when we get into the D's, start looking at lower
candidates, not just f(D) for defeaters of the previous D's.

-Forest