[EM] Friendly Voting: Some Criteria Compliance Proof Sketches

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Oct 15 14:17:59 PDT 2022

On 13.10.2022 02:38, Forest Simmons wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2022, 3:35 AM Kristofer Munsterhjelm
> <km_elmet at t-online.de <mailto:km_elmet at t-online.de>> wrote:
>
>     Does this come with the same caveat as in Friendly Cover that if
>     someone
>     has no first preference, then the compliance may be failed? E.g.
>     suppose
>     a bunch of nobodies are ranked first (enough so that they're not in
>     Smith), then every viable candidate's first preference is zero.
>

> Yeah, but if even one Smith member is in the support of lottery L, then
> no non-Smith winner has a finite Sum S(X).
>
> That's why all my suggestions for Lare designed to take care of that
> problem.

My hunch is that since the strength of first preferences (against
burial) comes from that X>W voters can't change who they vote first by
burying, then a burial resistant extension should be based on first
preferences of some subset of the candidates. (If we take the subset to
be just every candidates, we get the usual Friendly Cover/Voting patterns.)

If so, then always using the subset of every possible candidate will
lead to the ISDA/pathological Smith/Landau failure shown above. So when
comparing X to W, we have two possibilities: either a fixed-cardinality
subset (probably containing both X and W) or a variable-cardinality one.

IRV is "essentially" (if you handwave enough) doing the latter, with its
path dependence producing nonmonotonicity and all of the usual flaws.
Since variable-cardinality subsets seem to lead directly to summability
violations, it's kind of a no-go. But perhaps there is a way to do the
former and still retain burial resistance?

There are two problems.

First, suppose we always use subsets of three. Then Condorcet cycle
analogs may occur - e.g. A's fpA-fpC score beats B's in the subset
(A,B,C), B's beats C's in the subset (B, C, D), C's beats D's in the
subset (C, D, A), and D's beats A's in the subset (D, A, B). The usual
fix would be to use something like Ranked Pairs over these orderings,
but I can't see how to prove that burial resistance will be preserved by
this.

Second, if we clone A into A1...An, then we can engineer the cloning to
set the A clones' scores to arbitrary values for fpA-fpC restricted to
the subset (A1,...,An). So using the result for subsets containing only
clones to determine whether A or B should win would fail clone independence.

So, not entirely easy. But perhaps it will give you some ideas for
lotteries along the "restricted subset" path :-)

Maybe the easiest way is to just come up with something that passes
DMTCBR and is based on the fixed subset pattern, and see if its burial
resistance is robust. A possible clue here is that fpA-fpC restricted to
every (assume cardinality three) subset containing A will have A
outscore B and C even after burial. But then again, that's also true of
pairwise victories...

Or it might be possible to do something along the lines of: if A ties B,
then A's tiebreaker is based on the relation of A's max-scoring friend
wrt B's -- because in the case that A covers B, then B can't possibly
win. As long as the "relation of A's max-scoring friend wrt B's" also
takes into consideration the tiebreakers of these max-scoring friends.

> Also apologies for not checking with you before dubbing my version
> "Friendly Voting."
> I started out just trying to do generalized median voting, and was
> surprised when the final simplified version turned out to be "Friendly" ; -)

That's no trouble at all :-)

I definitely won't complain if Friendly turns out to be a really good
method!

-km