[EM] A Decisive, Landau Efficient, Generalized Median, Single Winner Method

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 15:45:04 PDT 2022

It is now obvious to me that the simplest, adequate measure of beatpath
cost, and the one that completes the "friendliness" measure in our
longstanding foA-fpC thread, is simply the number of steps in the
beatpath.  The fewer the number of steps in the beatpath from X to Y, the
friendlier Y is to X.

Time to summarize the method that has culminated in this thread. I'm
tempted to call it the Munsterhjelm Venzke Heitzig or MVH method after the
principal contributors of the key ideas. Many other EM List members from
(Demorep to Lung) have contributed in ways too numerous to enumerate.  I
can truly say that anybody who made regular contributions to the EM List in
the form of questions, criticisms, or clarifications over any period of a
year or more has contributed to my understanding of voting methods ... for
which I am very grateful. Special mention to Benham, Ossipoff, Rob LeGrand,
Andrew Jennings, Joe Weinstein, Bart Ingles, etc. for tolerating my newbie
efforts.

HVM: Elect the candidate X with the smallest total of beatpath costs from X
to the ballot favorites.

In other words, for each ballot B, and each candidate X, let Cost(X,fpB) be
the minimum number of steps in a beatpath from X to fpB, the first place
favorite of ballot B. Note that if X=fpB, then the beatpath from X to F(B
has zero steps, so the cost is zero.
Let SumfpB(X) be the sum over all ballots B of Cost(X,fpB).
Elect argmin SumfpB(X)

It is not hard to show that this simple, decisive, Universal Domain
election method is clone independent, Landau efficient, and monotone.

If these claims hold up to close scrutiny, and MVH truly does generalize
fpA-fpC, then why not propose it for public elections?

-Forest