[EM] Half-exact spatial models

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Nov 26 14:50:29 PST 2022

I was reading about JGA's spatial model when it occurred to me that the
Voronoi trick we talked about a while ago to get near-exact ballots for
Yee diagrams could also be used for spatial model calculations (e.g.
strategic susceptibility).

In JGA's model, both candidates and voters are drawn iid from a
d-dimensional symmetric unit normal distribution. So the process would
go like this:

First, choose a number of candidates' positions from a d-dimensional
symmetric unit normal distribution. This is the inexact part.

Then, as with the Yee map, the candidates' positions divides the space
R^d into a number of sectors (convex polytopes) enclosing the volume
where, if a voter is located there, that voter would rank the candidates
in a particular way.

Then in theory, to get the exact ranked ballots for this particular
assignment of candidates, take the integral of the d-dimensional unit
normal over each polytope. The integral then determines what fraction of
the infinite number of voters who would've voted according to the
ranking that polytope represents.

In practice, it's not that easy because the value would be irrational
and (if I recall correctly) there's no general closed form expression
for d>2. For small d, numerical integration could work, but if d gets
large, perhaps you have to resort to Monte-Carlo anyway, in which case
there's no need to go through the whole Voronoi business.

Also, the process wouldn't reduce Monte-Carlo to a fully exact process;
it would reduce MC over candidates and voters into just MC over
candidates (since the candidate positions still have to be chosen
randomly). I don't expect there's anything remotely close to a neat
expression for the integral over all candidate positions of the exact
result below - in particular, I don't see any way to integrate over the
space of possible Voronoi polytopes.

-km