[EM] What is the name of this simplest STV multi-winner method?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Fri Nov 25 16:54:45 PST 2022

Okay guys, I never used the word "proportional" or "PR".

I know "STV" is commonly equated to "multi-winner RCV" by the same folks who equate "RCV" and "IRV".  I still think "STV", given the root meaning of the phrase, is applicable in semantic.  I know I am resisting a pre-established convention, but if the RCV method is in sequential rounds where individual votes were being transferred from one candidate to another, it's STV in my semantic.  This convention I dislike less than when FairVote (and some jurisdictions) adopted "RCV" to mean only Hare STV.

Thanks, Jack, for the doi link.

And thanks everyone for the semantic help.

Never said it was "PR", but I still say it's semantically more accurate to say it's "STV" even if that is not the convention of practice.

And Ken B, I'm getting right back to you.

Thank y'all.

robert

r b-j . _ . _ . _ . _ rbj at audioimagination.com

.