[EM] Easy fix to Alaska's ranked-choice voting

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Nov 12 04:16:21 PST 2022

On 12.11.2022 02:26, Colin Champion wrote:
> On 11/11/2022 20:49, Forest Simmons wrote:
>>
>> Since almost all RCV implementations limit the number of candidates
>> that can be ranked on a ballot, the simplest decent  RCV method is ...
>> Elect the uncovered candidate that is unranked on the fewest ballot
>>
> Does anyone know why this truncation is imposed? If it’s to limit the
> amount of work needed to count the ballots, wouldn’t it make sense for
> Condorcet supporters to advocate a method which was countable in linear
> time? In practice this would presumably be Sequential Pairwise
> Elimination with an FPTP pre-ranking. If you insist on a quadratic time
> method and accept the corollary of ballot truncation, I don’t imagine it
> will work very well. Or am I missing something?

Forced ballot truncation clearly makes every voting method fail clone
independence, so no, it's not just you.

As an extension of my Friendly Cover/Voting caveat (where it's difficult
to call a winner because first preferences are all distributed among
nobodies), forced ballot truncation probably also implies ISDA failure.
Perhaps even Smith failure, or Condorcet in pathological cases.

-km