[EM] Easy fix to Alaska's ranked-choice voting

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 14:07:08 PST 2022

I forgot to mention that Gross Loser Elimination is just as burial
resistant and Chicken resistant as IRV, and is less susceptible to
compromise than IRV, because unlike IRV, it has no  Central Squeeze
pathology.

Imagine candidates X and Y close to the left and right of Center Z.  Under
sincere ranked ballots Z will have few first choice votes compared to X and
Y, so it will be eliminated, unless one of the factions compromises and
votes its second choice Z over its favorite.

Which one would benefit by that insincere order reversal?

Answer: the pairwise loser in the final runoff step between X and Y.

A note on counting GLE.... a rectangular table of pairwise counts is
projected on the screen in the public counting room.

The k_th entry in the j_th row of the table is the number of ballots on
which the j_th candidate out ranks the k_th candidate.

As the ballots are opened and the candidate rankings carefully compared
one-by-one, the respective table entries for row j are incremental for each
candidate k that candidate j outranks on that ballot.

When the ballots have been fully tabulated, the elimination steps begin.

At each step the smallest entry in the table is circled. All viewers must
agree that it is indeed the smallest entry before continuing the step.

Once all observers are in agreement that the smallest entry is the k_th
entry of row j, then candidate j is declared to be the Gross Loser of this
step, and so is eliminated by crossing out both the j_th row and the j_th
column of the table.

The remaining table has one fewer row and one fewer column.

Find the Gross Loser of this smaller table by identifying which row has the
smallest entry, etc.

The last candidate standing is the GLE winner.

If you want the frosting on the cake, have a representative for each
candidate announce if they claim to have the highest uncovered candidate in
the finish order.

Process these claims in the reverse order, beginning with the GLE winner,
then the runner up, etc until either a claim is verified, or all have been
checked and refuted.

To check a claim X, those who challenge X must produce a candidate Y who
beats X, but is not at the end of a two step beat path from X to Y.

If the challengers cannot successfully refute the claim in this manner,
then the claim stands approved, and X is the winner.

In other words, elect the candidate with the first unrefutted claim in the
order of claim processing ... which (as we have already specified) is the
reverse of the elimination order.

Anybody have a better suggestion?

Nobody?

OK, then...how do we get the proposal ball rolling?

-Forest