[EM] Easy fix to Alaska's ranked-choice voting

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Tue Nov 8 11:17:57 PST 2022

On 08.11.2022 18:02, Richard, the VoteFair guy wrote:
> Forest, what do you mean by "covered"?  Is there a Wikipedia or
> Electowiki article (or section of an article) that explains it?  Or is
> there a dictionary reference you can point to?
>
> Yes, you've used the words "covered" and "uncovered" many times but I
> don't recall ever seeing a clear explanation of what you mean.  I
> presume it involves pairwise counts, but that's as far as I can guess.

The short answer is: A covers B if A pairwise beats everybody B pairwise
beats and then some.

An uncovered candidate is someone who is not covered by anyone else.

This definition works when there are no pairwise ties. Things get
trickier with pairwise ties, as I found out when generalizing Friendly
Cover.

-km