[EM] Open Message to Foley, Maskin, and Other Tweakers

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 23:03:39 PDT 2022

How can this one simple tweak improve on any method currently in use?

Because currently no Landau efficient method is in use, and each step of
this method takes you closer to the Landau plateau in the direction of
steepest ascent, so to speak.

It works like gradient ascent. The hyperplane that bisects the line segment
between W and C is roughly tangent to the level surface of the smoothed
local ballot mass density.

The number of ballots/voters on the W side of the hyper plane is smallest
(so pairwise opposition to C is minimal) when C is in the direction of
steepest  ballot/voter mass increase ... i.e. the vector from W to C is
roughly parallel to the mass density gradient.

The beauty of gradient ascent is that no matter where you start, each step
gets you closer to the Landau plateau supporting the single peak, if there
is one i.e. the region of local maximum average ballot density.

That's why this method is so robust!

Shouldn't there be a law that any method based on RCV ballots be perforce
retrofitted with this tweak, unless it has a built in  seamless way of
provably guaranteeing Landau efficiency? Who could rationally object to
this zero-cost Landau insurance "coverage"?

Any questions? Comments? Gripes?

-Forest