[EM] Generalized Median

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 10:49:44 PDT 2022

The only problem with this method is that it requires two passes through
the ballots to get the P percentages.

We can simplify it greatly by just using the percentages of first place
preferences, and all of the candidates ranked above X, not just the ones
defeating X.

Then let M(j,k) be the number of ballots on which j outranks k, and let F
be the row matrix whose j-th column element is the first choice count for
candidate j.

Let V be a variable initialized as the row vector F*M.

Update V by sorting its columns from smallest to largest, and then
replacing each entry by the name of the candidate it represents ... i.e.
candidate k if the value came from column k of the pre-sorted V.

At this point, V is the finish order of de-cloned Borda. Now we uncover the
de-cloned Borda winner:

Until the left most element of V is uncovered, update V by  rotating into
first place the left most element that covers it.

When the dust settles, elect the candidate whose name ended up in the left
most column of V.

How's that for clean?

IMHO this is the one-pass, monotone, clone free RCV method with the most
VSE potential.

But, of course that conjecture needs checking.

Also, because it is the uncovered Generalized Median winner it should be
fairly resistant to strategic order reversal temptations.

... which also needs checking by simulation, as well as the scrutiny of
astute observers like Kevin, Kristofer, Chris Benham, etc. (The academic
hotshots are no good at this ... they don't seem to have a clue.)

-Forest