[EM] Public Proposal Verbiage

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue May 31 12:32:43 PDT 2022

> On 05/31/2022 1:07 PM Forest Simmons <forest.simmons21 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I agree with all your sentiments, and will convert to Consistent Majority Candidate (or Champion).
>
> I'm very satisfied with the method definition, but not so much with the suggested tally procedure.

The method definition should simply be:

(3) If no candidate receives a majority of first preferences, a Condorcet-consistent retabulation shall be performed by the presiding election officer. The candidate, who is the Condorcet winner, is elected if the rankings on all of the ballots indicate that this one candidate defeats, with a simple majority of voter preferences, every other candidate when compared in turn with each other individual candidate. A selected candidate defeats another candidate by a simple majority when the number of ballots marked ranking the selected candidate higher than the other candidate exceeds the number of ballots marked to the contrary.
(4) If no Condorcet winner exists in subdivision (3), then the candidate having the plurality of first preferences is elected.

This can be made more explicit:

(3) If no candidate receives a majority of first preferences, a Condorcet-consistent retabulation shall be performed by the presiding election officer. The retabulation shall examine every possible pairing of candidates. Given N as the number of candidates, then the number of possible pairings of candidates is N(N-1)/2.  If the number of ballots marked ranking a selected candidate over the other candidate exceeds the number of ballots marked to the contrary, then the other candidate is declared defeated. After all candidate pairings are examined, the candidate who remains not declared defeated is the Condorcet winner and is elected.
(4) If no Condorcet winner exists in subdivision (3), then the candidate having the plurality of first preferences is elected.

Tomorrow, I get to meet Howard Dean again (since he ran for prez in 2004) and tell him why I quoted him in my paper https://tinyurl.com/2tety9tj and tell him why his claim that I quoted is technically wrong.

The RCV reform effort in Vermont is close to dead, but not quite dead yet.

L8r,

robert

r b-j . _ . _ . _ . _ rbj at audioimagination.com

.