[EM] STAR cloneproof variant based on Score Chain Climbing

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Sun May 29 11:56:14 PDT 2022

Reviving an old topic.

I had another thought for clone proofing STAR or Top Two Approval runoff,
based on SPAV or RRV. It is not summable.

Round one:

Approval or Score ballots.

Advance the top two approved or top two total score candidates.

Advance a third candidate using SPAV with Approval ballots or RRV if score
ballots, as if the two already advanced candidates were chosen by that
method. That is, if using approval, a ballot's weight for the third count
has weight 1 if it approved no previous winners, 1/2 if it approved one of
the first two winners, or 1/3 if it approved both the previous winners.
Similarly for score ballots using RRV.

If round one uses Approval ballots, a score ballot runoff will be held. If
using Score, the round one ballots can be recounted to find pairwise
preferences, using ratings to infer rankings. Or a separate score runoff
could also be held with the three winners, which I prefer.

In round two, use a cloneproof and burial resistant Condorcet method. Let's
say, score sorted margins or score chain climbing.

The difference from my first proposal is that there are always 3
candidates, representing either 2 factions, if top two are clones, or 3
factions, if not cloned.

My overall preference is for an approval first round, to eliminate most
candidates, then the cloneproof third candidate will generally represent a
different perspective to be debated before the runoff.